Sunday, January 10, 2010

welcome 2010: project #1

Project #1 is officially in the books! This baby quilt (for a friend who's due in February - mums the word!) was so fun. Of course, the kelpy design/motif continues to make an appearance, but I did try a few new things with this one: spot tying, hand stitches, and taking my time. Seems like I'm always trying to work as fast as I can, but I really tried to slow things down. I think some good came of it... including my growing love affair with my walking foot. How'd I ever do it before?

Here are a few more close-ups; I think close-up photos always do a better job of capturing a quilt anyway! But I do have dreams of a new camera. And I'm open to suggestions (hint, hint)...


6 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love those hand stitches you've mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple, cute, lovely! i especially like the plus sign on the bottom edge, the handstitching, and your quilting design in general. just great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! The combo of machine and hand stitching is brilliant, I must give this a try! As far as cameras go, I have had some fun playing with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wonderful!... and being of Swiss heritage, the cross at the bottom makes my heart beat just a tad faster... I could see this as a large king sized baby too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the feedback and the camera ideas! some day, some day.....

    the plus sign is definitely my favorite part. I was thinking about trying another little quilty that features a sprinkling of them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture of this. What a great finish.

    Personally, I'm pretty happy with my Canon G10. I love the Canon lens. It isn't a fancy SLR, but I think I get some pretty good photos off of it. The point and shoots these days have so many manual options, if you take the time to learn them. And a great camera does not necessarily make a good photographer!

    ReplyDelete